This chili won first place in the “classic” category at Ontario Christian Fellowship’s 2015 Chili Cook-off.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
In small bowl, mix all seasoning ingredients together.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 (large) cans crushed tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (small) can tomato paste
- 1 large onion – diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1-2 (small) cans sliced mushrooms
In large pot, brown ground beef. Don’t drain fat. Add onion and sauté until onions become translucent. Transfer to slow cooker, add seasoning mix, and remaining chili ingredients. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.